Saturday 1 March 2008

7 things

So stealing an idea from the bluefish . Seven things about this week.

1. I survived an earthquake. I have now been in an earthquake larger than one my friends who live in Los Angeles have experienced. Details from the USGS .

2. I'm not on a small island in the Bristol Channel with lots of people I know. I have been the past two years, but couldn't go this year as I have to teach on Monday. This is not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I'm not sure how I could deal with certain people, but its nice to get messages saying I'm going to be missed. But I am missing a pirate themed fourth birthday party:-(.

3. My Mum has moved into her new house. Its very nice but needs some wall colours toning down. Hot pink and lavender bedroom anyone?

4. Errors are fun. This is what I keep telling myself while considering the quantitative errors for all of my PhD thesis work. One of my supervisors is obsessed with errors so they have to be spot on, but it means that I will be OK on them for my viva.

5. My college chapel is still an oasis of calm in the madness (especially in London). On a tough day its so good to stop in, pause, reflect and pray. Its also lovely to hear the choir and organ practice drift up into the department and our office.

6. Friends, even if on the other side of the world are an amazing blessing and support. Its actually quite useful to have people to talk to when you're out of sync with the timezone you're in.

7. In line with point 6 (and a previous post this week). The internet, instant messaging, email and online voice programmes are such a boon when it comes to keeping up friendships.

No comments: