Monday 18 February 2008

Some of the reasons I should maybe relocate to the USA

So when I was 16 we had to set out our plans for the rest of our lives in what they called our "Record of Achievment". Mine went something like get a degree, do a PhD, go and do a post-doc in the USA then decide what to do Well with a changing of degree subject, university and doing a part-time PhD I'm at the same point I would have been if I had gone along with the original plan (formulated by a naive 15 year old who had some other weird ideas, all that are substance for other posts).

In 2001 having switched I taught Summer Camp in the USA, met some amazing people who continue to have a huge impact on my life. I returned in 2003 (post degree holiday), 2006 (for work), 2007 (a: holiday with Dad post job, b: friend from camp's wedding) and each time I go to the USA it doesn't have the sense of other that places outside the UK have to me (including the country in Southern Africa where I've spent over 9 months for my thesis research).

So this week it seems I've spoken more to my friends in the USA than here. Partially because of working late and the joys of instant messaging or skype and email. And I mean really talking, helping me figure out stuff and being supportive in the crappy week I've had. Coming out of a long-term relationship that I really thought was the job really made me evaluate what I wanted and working and living in the USA for a bit is really on the cards. The factor of a potential amazing relationhip is a push/pull factor, but not the only one which makes the pressure slightly less (and thats a whole other set of posts).

2 comments:

k said...

i worked at a summer camp and we had a lot of people come from the UK and Australia to work there. although i have to say, most had kinda shitty jobs like working in the kitchen. it was hard to connect with them since we all had different schedules.

Jenny said...

The program I went to camp with had a support jobs stream for those who didn't have teaching experience or didn't want to live with the campers! However, at the camp I worked at most of the kitchen staff were local high schoolers working summer jobs.